Yoga for Pregnancy
Imagine how life changing it will be when all women have a conscious pregnancy…
“During those months [of pregnancy] she is required to be in circumstances which are very secure, respectable, and comfortable, and in which she can have a lot of understanding around her. We always know how to raise the rose bush, but we have never tried to study how to raise our children. Our children are actually raised within those nine months of pregnancy and development. Those are very important days of life of the child.”~ Yogi Bhajan
The Vibratory Frequency of the Mother-to-Be
The woman’s vibratory frequency has a tremendous effect on the soul she will attract.The radiance and consciousness of the woman attracts the subtle body of the incarnating soul to be granted the gift of a human life. She has the power to transform her vibratory frequency using yoga, meditation, mantra and prayer to elevate her state of consciousness.
“When a mother is pregnant, the kind of soul she can accept depends on her mental attitude. And then there is another beauty that within the realm of your belly, which is your pregnancy, you can totally transform the soul. The soul is pure and has nothing to do, but the subtle body carries the karma of the previous life. A mother can totally purify the subtle body of the new child.”~ Yogi Bhajan
The 120th Day of Pregnancy
The ancient wisdom from the yoga masters, states that a subtle connection between the cells of the embryo and the soul to be incarnated occurs at conception. At 120 days after conception the soul comes to fully inhabit the body it has been granted. After the 120th day of pregnancy until the navel cord is separated from the mother, the subconscious mind of the child is formed.
“The purest thing in the world is the heart of the mother, the heart-chakra, the center of the mother. It is the purest thing in the world. It can move God. It can move the universe. It can cause an effect beyond limitation. The heart of the mother is the greatest power of Infinity ever given to any finite being. There are certain things which can be considered the most superior things: prayer of the mother, prayer of the beloved (I wish it should say wife, but it is not written in the scriptures, so I cannot alter them), prayer of the self, and prayer of the spiritual teacher. These are four prayers which can alter and change the destiny.”~ Yogi Bhajan
The Birth Experience
She is the goddess of the universe
All mothers can relate to this, to actually birth another human being from your own body is beyond anything, words can’t express it. Time and space do not exist. A birthing woman transcends the reality of earthly measurements and experiences Infinity, which is not only here and now, but contains the past and the future as well. She is one with creation.After a conscious conception and pregnancy, preparing for a conscious birth is the best gift to give your child. Your effort to be conscious and aware during birthing sets the foundation for your child to be conscious and aware. Set your highest intention for a sacred, conscious birth; prepare yourself and your sacred spaces, give your greatest expression of your divinity, and trust the Universe. Surrender to the divine.
The First 40 Days after Birth
In so many cultures around the world, the sensitivity of the new born is respected, and the child is protected in a supported, sacred environment with his mother and intimate family, especially during the first 40 days after birth. Women are given the privilege and support to slowly and respectfully recover from birthing, and enjoy a cozy time building a loving relationship with their newborn. Support comes from family and friends, who assist with household, family and childcare duties.Yogis recommend that a child remain within the mother’s aura (within nine feet of her physical body) during the first 40 days after birth. Because of the child’s subtle sensitivity, it is best not to leave the baby alone in a room during these weeks. If the mother needs to leave the child, then the father or another loving support person can be with the child.
During the time in your womb, you and your child shared physical functions, as well as subtle energies. You were protected in one aura. The separation of your aura and your child’s aura initiates when the navel cord separates from your body. This can be a shock for both of you.
Kundalini Yoga and Meditation during Pregnancy
In most cases, a woman can practice normal Kundalini Yoga until the 120th day of pregnancy if there are no health complications. After the 120th day of pregnancy, there are certain exercises she should avoid. And it is always advisable to check with your doctor.
Basic Positions for Pregnancy Yoga
- Easy Pose
- Life Nerve Stretch
- Cat Cow
- Spinal Flex
- Arm Exercises
- Shoulder Exercises
- Neck Exercises
- Relaxation: on side or back (before 5th month)
- Conscious Breathing
Yogic Practices to Avoid after the 120th Day
The following exercises should NOT be practiced after the 120th day of pregnancy, or if a woman has any medical complications:
- Yogi Bhajan: After the 5th month avoid practicing Baby Pose and also all Gong Meditations
- After the 36th week, avoid standing Life Nerve Stretch variations.
- No exercises which apply pressure to the abdominal area (i.e. Bow Pose, Stretch Pose, etc.). No exercises lying on stomach.
- No exercises and pranayam that over-stimulate. (The pulse should not go above 140 beats per minute.)
- No Breath of Fire. Yogi Bhajan has stated that light Breath of Fire in the first 3 months is permissible if health permits.
- No Maha Bhand or Uddiyana Bhand (diaphragm lock) or Mul Bhand (contraction of the rectum, sex and navel locks together), or diaphragm lock. Contraction of the pelvic floor strengthens and tones the pelvic floor muscles and is acceptable during and after birthing in most situations.
- No leg lifts (except while lying on the side).
- No inverted postures (i.e. shoulder stand, head stands, hand stands, etc.).
- No Sat Kriya.
- Avoid lying on the back after the 6th month and the belly is much enlarged. The best position for increased blood flow to the baby is lying on the left side. Do not stress and exercise harder.
- No cold showers after the 7th month.
- No Venus Kriyas while pregnant. Partner exercises are okay. White Tantric Yoga is acceptable, however, discuss with the Tantric Facilitator before the course.
- No breath suspension on the exhale.
- No exercises that aggravate existing weaknesses and injuries.
- No heavy detoxifying exercises.
The SA-TA-NA-MA mantra Kirtan Kriya meditation, is a most effective meditation to release haunting, limiting patterns of the subconscious mind and prepare a couple for pregnancy. Practice it daily for at least 40 days consecutively to receive the full effect.
Many expectant parents have tried Yogi Bhajan’s recommendation that the husband and the mother-to-be daily walk together and practice Charan Jaap.“That’s why one of the kriyas which a pregnant woman can do with her husband is to walk together doing what is call “Charan Jaap.” It is a walking meditation. On the left foot the woman chants “Sat Nam,” while the man chants “Wahe Guru” on the right. They walk like this together for four to five miles. You will see children of such parents are very calm, very quiet, very smiling. They are not crying. They are absolutely contained.”~ Yogi Bhajan